Should you stay in
a Disney Hotel ?
[ Disney Vacation Planner
Again the answer to this question is very subjective, but most
people that have stayed in a hotel on Disney property will almost
certainly say that there are so many more benefits to staying
on-property that it's not worth staying outside the resort, however
if you're planning to spend a reasonable amount of time away from
the Disney attractions you should consider splitting your holiday,
and only staying on-property for the part of the holiday where
you plan to spend time in the Disney parks.
Generally it is more expensive to stay on Disney property than
to stay off-site, however if you compary the price of the budget
Disney hotels such as the AllStar hotels, to staying in accommodation
on International Drive, you may well find that there is little
or no price difference, but that the Disney accommodation comes
with the obvious benefits of being on-property.
What are some of the benefits of being on property?
- Car parking on Disney property is free to residents, so if
you decide to take the car to the park instead of using Disney
Transportation you'll save 10 dollars a day.
- Depending on the resort, purchasing a "resort mug"
will allow you to get free drinks (excluding alcohol) from the
resort for the duration of your stay. This can add up to quite
a saving over a period of a couple of weeks, particularly if
you're part of a larger group.
- Anything bought in the parks can be charged back to your room,
using the resort ID card, and delivered directly to your room
for free, saving you from carrying cash or loads of souvinirs
around the park with you.
- Free transportation to all of the Disney attractions is provided
for residents and whilst some hotels off-property claim to provide
a similar service, I've found from experience that the Disney
transportation is far more frequent and reliable than off-site
- Various on-site activities in and around the resorts are available
to resort guests only.
- The major theme parks open early for resort guests, often
allowing access to the park up to an hour or more before anyone
- Booking various activities such as Pony Trekking, or Paragliding
is far easier through Guest Services when on property.
- Character breakfasts can be booked allowing you to dine with
Disney's most popular characters including Mickey, Minnie, Pluto,
Donald etc, not only in theme park restaurants, but also in
many of the resort restaurants.